Old 28-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Shiva

Default Bugs & Roses

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 06:39:34 GMT, "DScott"
wrote:

I hate bugs and I
love roses... it's so hard to reconcile.

No it's not. It would be hard to reconcile if you love bugs and roses.
I have one word for you:

Orthene.

Or one of the Orths, there must be one for your caterpillers.. I like
using the systemic liquid you spray every ten days that kills only
insects that actually ingest your roses. (It really does, too.) I use
the one that is a combination insecticide and fungicide. Contrary to
all horror stories, I still have birds, ladybugs, tons of earthworms,
bats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc etc etc. Going on year four of using
the stuff. My roses look great all year long. HOWEVER--you do have to
suit up and take care not to come into contact with the stuff while it
is wet. Read the labels and follow the directions. I use a respirator,
too. All of this is worth not having my roses eaten, to me. I still
believe in a hard, fine spray of water twice a week, too. Great for
aphid and fungal spores.

Dianne in Austin