Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Termites in Compost

"Lar" wrote in message
k_pip_k wrote:
Hello,

I have a compost bin, with a lot of black gold brewing in it with
worms, beetles, centipedes, millipedes and now termites. I need help
figuring out how to get rid of them. Obviously they are very happy in
the bin. I tried turning it over many times, in hopes of finding the
queen, but no luck.

How can I get rid of them without poisons? I don't want to kill all
the beneficial stuff in there, just the termites.

Thanks,

The nest will be under ground deeper than the frost line but above the
water table and may be many feet away from the compost pile. Termites
are part of the process breaking down the materials in the mulch so
unless the pile is next to the house you can ignore them.

indeed, unless they pose a problem to trees or buildings around the compost
bin just leave them to do a job on your compost for you.

rob