Old 28-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Raleighgirl

Default Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears?

"Tomatolord" wrote in message
| derek it is the sap sucker bird who is making the holes
|
| The wood peckers may be going in afterwards to eat the bugs
going in
| afterwards
|
| Yes the holes attract insects that will also bore into the
tree - if there
| are no insects the tree will not die directly from the holes.
|
| Later
| Tomatolord

Awwwwww darn it ya'll party poopers. I wanted to be the first to
tell Dreq that it's the Yellow bellied sapsucker (Dreq, we just
had a conversation about them here a month ago, that's why I
jest) that makes those holes. From what I have heard here,
cicadas make similar marks on trees, just not as many. I don't
have Bradfords (tg) so I can't speak as to how they will hold up.
The sapsuckers are on my holly trees. For the 3 years I've been
here, I've seen no symptoms of stress.
Jw