Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Eible Watercress

Was: Filter plants starting to grow - any new ones to recommend?

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:14:34 CST, "Peter Corser" wrote:

Watercress is almost ideal - grows really rapidly even in a settlement tank
with no substrate or in a tank which still has plastic Flocor! Here in the
UK it can go almost dormant during hard winters, but usually restarts growth
very early - I use it in all my filter tanks. We also like to eat
watercress ourselves (much better, fresher and cheaper than supermarket
stuff) and have an almost unlimited supply most of the year -

Watercress is really high is good stuff also, but I took a bite out of mine
and quickly spit it out, very BITTER. Is that normal? Are there different
kinds of watercress types? Mine started out as a grocery store variety. How
on earth do you eat it, I can't imagine having even a small bit of it in
anything?

Pond plants are a no-go with my Koi - even overturned a large plastic
washing basket (about 3 ft by 2 feet and weghted down with bricks!) we tried
to use to grow water lilies! Peter

Now that's amazing. How big are your koi? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us