Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] standridgekelly@gmail.com is offline

Default Wondering if I could create a pond on solid rock?

Hi all,
I am completely new, have never created or maintained a pond before,
but I am contemplating a new one and would really appreciate some
advice. We have a huge outcropping of rock (sandstone) outside our
house, and it has a natural "pool" which will hold water when it
rains. I have taken to filling the pool every few days with the garden
hose for the birds and the dogs (who just drink from it, they're not
swimmers.) Anyway, with just a little mortar, I could dam up the end
and create a fairly large pool, about 15 feet across. I don't think it
would be more than about 12 inches deep at the deepest part, though. I
don't have any intention of keeping fish, just plants, so I don't
think that would be a problem. It would get full, full sun, all day
long.
My questions are, is it feasible to create a pond on a piece of rock?
Would minerals leach from the rock into the water and create a
problem? Do you think I would have too much trouble from algae?
I would really appreciate any thoughts and comments; I'm sure there
are many things which I have not considered.
Thank you,
Kelly