Old 28-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Warren

Default toxic soil?

mags wrote:
hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

Well, let's put it this way. In most jurisdictions, you can't even build
a garage on a former landfill, let alone the dump where they took the
incinerator ash. The idea of growing food there would be insanity.

If it's as bad as you're describing, you may need to clean it up before
any kind of occupation.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.