Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Norman Digger Norman Digger is offline

Default is this the way with amaryllis?

I saved the seeds from the big vulgar trumpet plant a couple of years ago
and now have a pile of healthy looking plants in pots in the greenhouse.
Can anyone tell me are they likely to flower, and can I plant them in the
garden or will they need to be indoors?
ta
Dave

I cross pollinated a red with a white one a number of years ago using a
small fluffy artist's paint brush to transfer pollen from one to the other.
Only the flowers on the red one set and produced seed. Ended up with lots of
small plants, most of which I gave away. They started flowering last year.
Only red flowers reported so far. Amaryllis like to be outside in the
Summer, but I bring mine indoors over Winter and let them dry out. Not sure
that is the right thing to do but I think a frost would kill them. They seem
to flower whenever they like and not in line with those in garden centres so
I'm probably confusing them what season it is.

Norman Digger.