Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Johnny Johnny is offline

Default Coldframe Question

On Apr 10, 8:21 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 10, 8:50 am, "Ron H" wrote:

Last year I built a coldframe. My wife moved three flats of marigolds into
it and something promptly ate the tops off of every one of them.... I didn't
think anything ate marigolds! What do you suppose it was? Slugs? Cutworms?
Mice?

Snails luuuurve marigolds.

Any suggestions to avoid the issue this year BEFORE I move plants out this
year?

Find whatever it is. Look for snails and slugs under and around the
frame and in any nearby sheltered spot. Put something tasty that you
won't miss out for bait and go out at night with a torch and catch
them in the act.

David

Didn't we sprinkle slugs with salt when we were kids?

Johhny