Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM posted to misc.survivalism,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Coffee Grounds in Compost

Mysterion wrote:
I finally got myself a compost bin to speed up the process rather than my
old method of "till it under and wait".

I've read that coffee grounds make good compost - something about
earthworms
liking it.
My question is "How much is too much?"
The household consumption of coffee is at least a half gallon per day.
This quickly adds up to a lot of grounds.

TIA

I've added up to 20 lbs of grounds per day to a fairly large compost
heap without overloading it. Used to get mine from a coffee shop down
the road from where I lived. Since coffee grounds are somewhat acidic
you might want to add a little dolomitic lime each time you add the grounds.

George