Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
pegleg pegleg is offline

Default Poison Ivy replacement

On Apr 9, 3:50 pm, "
wrote:
So if I win my current battle with two 25ft poison ivy bushes
(currently going at them with Roundup and triclopyr in various forms
of application), what should I plant in their place to minimize the
chances that any new seedlings will have the opportunity to sprout and
thrive? Any ground cover that is a decent competitor to poison ivy?

When I moved into my house, back in 1995, I had huge, tree-covering
vines of PI, up to 2" diameter. I sprayed the woods, and understory
with Roundup. It was totally brown.

The following year, my neighbor, a landscaper, came by to say he'd
never seen so many trout lilies and "how had I grown them?" Heheh.
They (poison ivy) spread by runners, so if you find a few, keep
looking along "the line".

Pegleg