Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default New to gardening

Hud wrote:
I live in Ohio (zone 5) and I'm starting a small vegetable garden in the
backyard this year. It is 7'x8'. I figure it is wise to start small the
first year and, if all goes well, increase it's size next year. I've never
gardened before - ever. The only thing I've done so far is dig up the
garden with a shovel. I got rid of all the grass sod and several rocks.
The soil is mostly clay, so I'm going to add some sand and good dark soil.
I will either rent or buy a tiller. I figure after the garden is tilled all
I have to do is plant. I figure the end of May to be good for that. Does
anyone know any good vegetable gardening websites? I'm particularly
interested in zone 5 gardening. I'm looking forward to participating in
this group.

I can recommend a great little book that despite all the other gardening
books I've bought over the years, I find myself going back to this
little treasure for information year after year. It's called Vegetable
Favorites by the late Lois Hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Lois-Holes-Veg...6231201&sr=8-5

If the link is too long, just go to amazon (or any book site) and search
the title or author name. It also gives a lot of basics about your
garden without getting complicated.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.