Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
standridgekelly standridgekelly is offline

Default Wondering if I could create a pond on solid rock?

On Apr 9, 7:01 pm, Nick Cramer wrote:
wrote:
Hi all,
I am completely new, have never created or maintained a pond before,
but I am contemplating a new one and would really appreciate some
advice. We have a huge outcropping of rock (sandstone) outside our
house, and it has a natural "pool" which will hold water when it
rains. I have taken to filling the pool every few days with the garden
hose for the birds and the dogs (who just drink from it, they're not
swimmers.) Anyway, with just a little mortar, I could dam up the end
and create a fairly large pool, about 15 feet across. I don't think it
would be more than about 12 inches deep at the deepest part, though. I
don't have any intention of keeping fish, just plants, so I don't
think that would be a problem. It would get full, full sun, all day
long.
My questions are, is it feasible to create a pond on a piece of rock?
Would minerals leach from the rock into the water and create a
problem? Do you think I would have too much trouble from algae?
I would really appreciate any thoughts and comments; I'm sure there
are many things which I have not considered.
Thank you,

If you have to fill a 12" deep pool every few days, it sounds pretty
porous. Check the pH of the water you're putting in and what's left just
before you refill it. Most sandstone is pretty stable, chemically, but some
are alkaline.

~Semper Fi~- Hide quoted text -

Oh, no, the pool is only about 1-2" deep and maybe about 3 feet wide
right now, which is why I have to fill it every few days. If I dam up
one end though, I could create a much larger pool. I will check the pH
of the water; I didn't even think of that. (see, I knew you all would
be a big help!) My biggest concern is going to be algae, I think,
since it will receive sun from dawn to dusk. Can you (or others)
recommend some of the best plants for helping to control algae? I am
in USDA zone 7, so our winters are pretty mild, but our summers are
scorching, scorching, scorching.
Thanks,
Kelly