Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default bark mulch - need to get rid of grass?

One more point. If the turf is in the drip line of your tree, and your goal
is to preserve tree health - do not dig out the turf. The roots of turf
grow deeper than the non-woody roots of trees. In digging out the turf you
are also digging out your absorbing roots of your tree which facilitate the
absorption of essential elements dissolved in water. Not a good treatment
for the tree.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We would like to apply bark mulch in several areas around our home
where grass currently exists. Is there a need to get rid of the grass
before applying the mulch, either by lifting the sod or laying
cardboard and four inches of soil, as we do when preparing a new bed,
or can we just lay landscape fabric and 2-3 inches of mulch and that
will take care of the grass over time.
thanks
Teresa