Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Manelli Family Manelli Family is offline

Default New to gardening

"William Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

A garden only 7' by
8' can be dug by hand, no tiller needed.

Which raises the question, in my mind (go figure), as to whether a
tiller is a good thing or not. I've read that tillers wipeout earthworms
and their edifices. Anybody have an opinion on tiller verses no tiller?

If you plan a large garden you may find a tiller helpful but a better bet
would be a small tractor with a plow or those disks to turn the soil in the
manner farmers do. I would never spend the money to buy another tiller.
They don't go deep enough. If your soil is very sandy they may work better,
but of it's clay..... well, better to turn the soil by hand.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)