Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pots

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron should I
put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which should give
me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

Clay is nice, but it dries out faster than plastic. Obviously, you can pay
close attention to watering in order to deal with this. But, clay will also
build up mineral deposits (from your water) along the rim, and the only way
do deal with that is to either repot into a clean pot, or get the whole
plant outside in the rain, and scrub the pot as best you can with a stuff
brush. Hopefully, it'll also rain enough to flush through the soil
completely.