Old 28-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Empty

Default Theoretical question for DIY yeast

"dGH" wrote in
:

If one were to connect an air pump and air stone INTO the 2L pop
bottle so that the yeast mixture was constantly bubbling: The net
effect would be that your output from the bottle would be CO2 enriched
air which continuously bubbled into the aquariium (or reactor). BUT,
the yeast reaction would never turn anaerobic, which means the product
would simply be CO2 and water. The yeast would never die, and the kit
would never have to be restarted or replaced. Theoretically you could
just add another cup of sugar each week to keep up the CO2 production.

The problem is not that the water and sugar turns anaerobic, but rather
that it turns alcoholic. As the proof goes up, the yeast starts dying off.
On top of that, adding air bubbles would no doubt cause surface turbulence,
which would hurt your CO2 levels as well.

~Empty
--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other