Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default New to gardening

In article ink.net,
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

"William Rose" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

Keep it turned
once a couple of weeks.

How does this affect the earthworm?

- Bill

Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Hope there's more than one. Why is there just one in your scenario?

If you mean earthworms, same as the helpful bacteria and other small stuff.
Some are injured, some die, most get better access to the nutrients they
feed on.

If you want to something of concern that directly affects plants, how about
the bee population decreasing.

Dave

I had the bee scare last year when they were late showing up to
pollinate the zuchs. Baby zuchs just withered away. Eventually, the bees
arrived and, life was good once more. At the time, I thought the flower
lady across the street had been splashing Sevin around. Later found it
was a more wide spread affair. This year I'm putting out bee balm and
other bee attractants, to encourage their patronage but, from what I
read, it doesn't sound hopeful, "Fall Dwindle Disease" to "Colony
Collapse"?

Numerero-uno, we need to look at the messenger. Remember that "news
papers" aren't about informing, they are about making money and, "if it
bleeds, it leads". If you don't sell papers, advertisers won't advertise
and, the paper won't make a profit. Corporate ownership adds another
wrinkle (I'll save that rant for another time.). Anyway, sensationalism
sells.

Numero-two-o, somethin' is happen here but, what it is, isn't exactly
clear. Bees that don't fly away, but stay with the hive, seem to have
multiple diseases, kinda like "AIDS" for bees. No, I don't want to know
what they're doing in there but what ever it is, it isn't pretty.
Apparently, even honey-bee predators won't go into the unguarded hives.

Numero-three-o, Maybe over this growing season, we could report to the
group on the appearance or disappearance of honey-bees in our own
gardens in order to try to make some sense out of this.

Like Freedom, a good garden requires constant vigilance.

I hate ending on such a bummer, so Ill leave you with the following
thought to contemplate.

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."