Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Hud Hud is offline

Default New to gardening

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Hud" wrote in message

I do worry about rabbits. I thought a chicken wire fence might be a good
idea. But then a friend told me that rabbits just dig right under them.

I have never had rabbits dig under a fence. I use the cheap 50' rolls of
plastic "rabbit fencing" and those cheap metal fence poles from the local
Lowe's Store. Make sure you bury the bottom few inches so they don't
squeeze under.

Someone else told me to pour ammonia on the ground all around my garden.
He said that would keep them out.

No, that will not work. The ammonia dissipates quickly.

Another buddy told me to get some cat fur,
stuff it in panty hose and hang it on posts on the corners of the garden
to ward off rabbits.

That only works until they realize no real live cats are available. We've
tried every trick in the book including the blood meal and nothing worked
but the anti-rabbit fencing. Since the new neighbors now have 3 cats,
the rabbit population has dropped.

I've never heard of any of these ideas before. Anybody
have any other good ideas on how to keep rabbits out of the garden?
Thoughts?

I didn't know they made anti-rabbit fencing. Sounds like just the thing I
need. Thanks.