Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] steve.scott@tms-media.co.uk is offline

Default Timber for a Raised

I'm moving a small raised vegetable plot from the shady side of my
garden to the sunny side. It was installed by a previous occupant of
the house using old railway sleepers, which I've heard (on Gardeners'
World) contain harmful chemicals which leech into the soil and
vegetables. I was thinking of using scaffolding boards to support the
new bed but am fairly sure these too will contain preservatives. My
local timber merchant has recommended a cheaper alternative to
scaffolding boards but says without preservatives the wood would rot
in three years. The new preservatives they use are apparently free of
the copper, chrome and arsenic which made the old ones so hazardous.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice please?