Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default New to gardening

"Manelli Family" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...

At one time we had something eating tomato plants. The solution my
mother used when I was young was simply to put a bit of screen around
the base of the cages, and that solved the problem.

The only thing that ever ate our tomatoe plants was the despised
"tomatoe horn worm." That would be useless against them. You may be
talking about the cut worm which circles plants at the bottom and they
topple and die.

I think rabbits got blamed. Maybe they were hungry and even less fond of
the strawberries (that the birds liked and so they got netting put over
them.)

Puckdropper