Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p. pleater p. pleater is offline

Default Sweetcorn

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
k...
Good Morning All

I am trying to grow some sweetcorn and have put 6 corns in pots inside
a propagator about one month ago and they do not seem to be doing
anything. Has anyone ever tried to grow sweetcorn? How long does it
take to germinate usually? I have tried to look online but I can not
seem to find anything on sweetcorn germinatation.

Am debating just chucking the ones I have planted and trying some new
seeds.

Thank you
Donna

I've been growing corn for years and usually have no problems and good
results. however last year I had the same trouble as you report.
I started them far too early (mental aberration) coupled with over
watering before the seed had germinated which caused the seed to rot.
Carefully scrape away the compost on one to see if the seed is OK. They
should have sprouted by now but you planted far too early.
I'm sowing mine in a propagator in about ten days time and they should
be ready for setting out in a bed late May /early June.
P.pleater.