Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Default Timber for a Raised

wrote:

I'm moving a small raised vegetable plot from the shady side of my
garden to the sunny side. It was installed by a previous occupant of
the house using old railway sleepers, which I've heard (on Gardeners'
World) contain harmful chemicals which leech into the soil and
vegetables. I was thinking of using scaffolding boards to support the
new bed but am fairly sure these too will contain preservatives. My
local timber merchant has recommended a cheaper alternative to
scaffolding boards but says without preservatives the wood would rot
in three years. The new preservatives they use are apparently free of
the copper, chrome and arsenic which made the old ones so hazardous.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice please?

Not exactly the cheap option but you can buy untreated sleepers. I bought a
couple to use as the base of my greenhouse. They will rot, but being 12" x
6" it'll take a very long time before it becomes a significant problem,
even in the GH. I've had mine for close to 10 years now, and they are
still going strong. Oh you also need to call in help to move them since
they do weigh rather a lot.
Duncan