Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Eible Watercress - (going OT)

G Pearce wrote:

And the seeds themselves are "capers".
Capers are watercress seeds? - We had them on the cruise ship in '86 on
different foods - thought it was a Greek thing - excellent

Er, no, capers are nasturtium seeds.

Now I'm confused, too :-)

Plants with the common name "Nasturtium" are genus Tropaeolum ("Flowering
Nasturtium" is /Tropaelum Majus/) and not at all related to watercress -
which is genus Nasturtium! Watercress is a type of mustard.

Here's a good page: http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Lepi_sat.html

Now I have to follow up what he said about capers - maybe they _aren't_
actually the same thing...

OK, Derek - you got the ball, run with it :~

Right, he's across the 50 yard line and heading for the end zone:

capers are "Caprissa Spinosa", not very closely related to Tropaelum,
but ...

He's at the 30 yard line and leaving the opponents behind him:

Capers _are_ fairly closely related to Watercress! (both being members of
the Mustard family).

Touchdown!

I love following up these questions because I invariably learn something I
didn't know before. I've just complained to DW that she lied to me about
the Capers - she insists that she didn't lie, she just believed somebody
else who told her the same thing.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated