Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default Sweetcorn

"Tim W" wrote in message

I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop,
I thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one
which is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating
the seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting
them in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the
seeds don't know what the date is.

Tim W

Farmers sow acres and acres of the stuff which crops ok.- I don't think
they use any wet paper in the process !
I doubt they have yet sown any, especially north of Birmingham.

Donna is wise to wait awhile.

I will be sowing in pots in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks time -
one seed per pot with a expected germination rate of 75 percent.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com