Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sweetcorn

In article ,
"Pete Stockdale" writes:
| "Tim W" wrote in message
|
| I have had the same difficulty. The first six all rotted to yellow gloop,
| I thought too wet and warm. The next six all went mouldy except for one
| which is growing. A professional gardner I consulted suggested germinating
| the seeds on wet paper in the shade like kids do with beans before putting
| them in compost. I don't see how it can be too early to grow indoors - the
| seeds don't know what the date is.

I do that with many seeds, including peas and beans.

| Farmers sow acres and acres of the stuff which crops ok.- I don't think
| they use any wet paper in the process !

They may do :-) You can buy such things commercially, though it is
more usual for them to be in wallpaper paste.

| I doubt they have yet sown any, especially north of Birmingham.
|
| Donna is wise to wait awhile.

Agreed.

| I will be sowing in pots in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks time -
| one seed per pot with a expected germination rate of 75 percent.

You are likely to get 90-95% on paper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.