Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM posted to misc.survivalism,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Coffee Grounds in Compost

On 4/11/07 2:09 PM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

SNIP

Check to see if there is a Master Gardener's program in your county. (If
you have a cooperative extension agent, that's where to start.) The
Apprentice Gardener program may well be an off-shoot of the MG program.

Actually, this is the "brain child" of a local master gardener. Her boys
surely aren't into the garden... LOL I don't know why it is only open to the
third graders, but such is life. My daughter is my buddy in the garden and
loves her time planting, picking flowers and cutting back. Can't get her
into weeding yet. But if the weather warms up a little this weekend, I'll
hand her the shears for the ornamental grasses.

I'm in my seventh week of the classes and I'm having a GREAT time. If
you like all things gardening, you might really have a good time taking
the course. And when the classes are over you still have to
volunteer/learn so many hours a year to keep your MG status so you really
get into lots of interesting things that you might not have gotten into
otherwise. Composting is certainly a big area of interest to MGs.

Last time I signed up to take the NH course, I found out I was expected the
third grader. So no time off from work to take the class since I was
arriving late due to morning sickness. I might try again, but I hear the
wait list is up to 3 years long

Our class is designing a 6 acres jogging/cross-country path/nature path
at a local school complex. We get to recommend the plants, designs,
landscaping rocks and other assorted fun things and they bring in people
and heavy equipment to get the job done plus they fund it all. Playing
with other people's money is FUN.

I'd love to see pictures.