Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Shade Privacy Tree Suggestions?

Sounds like you will want to prune whatever you get to keep it at the 6 foot
fence. Its better to start pruning when the tree is young than when it is
mature for controlling hieght. This if for you. You can start pruning 1
year after you plant the tree. Hope you find a suitable tree.
For pruning

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

And while I am at it here is some planting suggestions for when you find
your tree of hope.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"saabdued" wrote in message
Right now all we have growing along that fence are shade perennials that
can
be easily moved. We do have a Holly tree not far away in full/mostly
shade,
and while not tall nor narrow, it is very healthy. Not very familiar with
Hollies, but I will look into them to see if I can find one that meets our
specifications. We like our neighbors but their house is very close to our
fence and on a hill overlooking that area of our yard. We are just looking
for something to grow a few feet taller than the six foot fence for added
privacy. Thanks very much for the suggestion.