Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tree recommendations please?

In message , Sacha
writes
On 12/4/07 19:09, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

,snip

Griselinia is certainly very salt tolerant, as is tamarisk but I don't think
I'd think of them as trees, myself. Eucalypts might fit the bill and don't
mind soggy. I've seen Cupressus macrocarpa grown quite close to the sea but
as we've just seen one blown down and one cut down today from the
churchyard, I don't know that they'd be considered safe for very windy
locations, too.

Eucalypts are fairly notorious for blowing over - I seem to recall a
saying on the lines of the bigger the stake the bigger the eucalyptus
when it's blown over. But there many different types of eucalyptus.

You're right - they do blow over easily and I should have thought of that.
This one's a bit of a problem! I'm beginning to think that a sculpture of
a tree might be easier! ;-)

I wondered about Plagianthus or Hoheria, but I don't know how they'd
behave in coastal locations. Plagianthus regius is quite elegant, and
grows in the Chathams, so it should be cold and wind tolerant.

There's some other tree-sized mallows that grow in coastal locations,
but I'd doubt that any would be hardy.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Pla...agianthus.html