Old 13-04-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BruceM BruceM is offline

Default Brassolaeliocattley Black Rot Fungus?

Write away!!!! These small novels teach me more than the over the shelf
books.
I haven't pulled it from the pot to see what other growth may or may not be
there. I suspected it was a goner. I have another Chyong Guu Chaffinch that
is healthy (I split them a year ago) so I am not too attached to this one.

I run about 40-52% humidity in the house, although that spot is probably
lower since it is next to the window and air from a A/C and heating vent
hits that wall and runs over the flowers.

How deep would these normally be potted? I went by the pictures in a couple
of books I have.

This is going to be a long weekend fighting scale and rot!

"Steve" wrote in message
BruceM wrote:
Brassolaeliocattley “Ta Hsin”
http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/IMG_3896.JPG

Bulb is turning soft,and you can see the one that rotted and fell
off.What fungicide works best here? A lot of reading indicates
etridiazole, which I have not tracked back to a brand name yet.

I read Diana's reply, I looked at your picture.
I agree that it is a goner. So much so that I wouldn't try any remedy at
all. It looks to me that the base of each pseudobulb is dead and the new
growth that started has died also. There is nothing left that can grow on.
This type of problem starts in the rhizome. It can spread the entire
length of the rhizome, dooming the plant, before it starts to travel up
the base of the pseudobulbs where it can be seen. I have a plant do this
once in a while. I discovered two plants heading down this path in the
last 3 months. Both had several growths (unlike your plant with only 3)
and I was able to find a section where the rot had not spread yet. One
looks like it will make it for sure. The other one I can't tell yet.
The rhizome of your plant seems to be covered by the medium. I plant mine
a little deep sometimes too because my humidity runs kind of low and I've
had roots dry up before they reach the medium. I do believe planting deep
makes this disease much more likely. Even more so if your humidity is also
high keeping the top layers moist longer.
Didn't mean to write a book.

Steve