Old 13-04-2007, 09:06 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham View Post
These differences are minor compared to the major difference in size and
vigour, W. floribunda is a much smaller plant at a mere 40' W. sinensis can
get to 120' and bring down house fronts with the shear weight of it (I will
admit not many posters are likely to live long enough to have that problem!)
most named forms are from sinensis and almost all wisteria is grafted onto
sinensis roots anyway so you get a pretty vigorous plant what ever. I still
prefer to do my Wisteria floribunda from cuttings, it seems a much more
modest sized plant! (covered in buds at present)
Curiously my sinensis 'alba' is much less vigorous than my floribunda 'harlequin', but it is planted in an especially dry spot. This year the sinensis started putting out its flowers ridiculously early, in March, and they have all been killed by the frost, of which we have had a lot over the last few weeks of clear skies. But my floribunda still hasn't flowered after 7 years and a lot of pruning and bending the shoots downwards. The advice to buy one that actually has a flower on it seems wise. We are thinking of ripping it out and trying again, in case there are another 15 years to wait. Sinensis 'alba' is nicely perfumed, which I think is not so common on wisteria.