Old 13-04-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Salt crust on clay pots?

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
Has anyone figured out how get the salt crust off their
clay pots? I've tried white vinegar. It didn't work.
Maybe I didn't do it right.

Will a normal springtime soaking pots in a wheelbarrow
fill of water with a splash of bleach make it easier to scrub
that salt off?

TIA,

Confused (as usual) in Alaska

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Similar proverb from a Taj Mahal blues song: If you can't get a wife, get a
bear. I have no idea what he meant, but anyway...

With the pot in use, it's often not possible to get the minerals off because
you need lots of water, like the soaking you mentioned. The bleach will
neither help nor hinder your efforts, but it may soak into the clay, which
you don't want. If you need to clean a pot that's in use, place it in the
shower, cover the soil with heavy duty aluminum foil (to prevent splashing
soil all over the place, and use the handheld shower head to rinse off the
minerals while scrubbing with whatever brush you find easiest to maneuver. I
use a fingernail brush because it fits the palm of my hand.