Old 13-04-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default is this the way with amaryllis?

In message , K
writes
Steve Wolstenholme writes
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:37:23 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

I saved the seeds from the big vulgar trumpet plant a couple of years ago
and now have a pile of healthy looking plants in pots in the greenhouse.
Can anyone tell me are they likely to flower, and can I plant them in the
garden or will they need to be indoors?

I grew some from seed many years ago expecting them to be variable but
they all came up and the ones I kept developed into flowering plants
in three or four years. They were all exactly like the original. I
still have some of them and the original.

Isn't that what you'd expect if you had only one plant originally? It
would have been self-pollinated.

Not necessarily. In an inbred line one expects seedlings to resemble
their parents. One does not expect the same of the seedlings of a F1
hybrid. I am not qualified to comment on which case Amaryllis is more
likely to resemble.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley