Old 13-04-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adder1969 adder1969 is offline

Default Lawn mower - small lawn!

On Apr 13, 12:24 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Road_H og®" No Spam writes:
| wrote in message

groups.com...
| I have a smallish patch of lawn - approx 30m x 8m which is reasonably
| level, but has the odd bump and dip. With children in the house it
| gets a fair amount of abuse, and has hardy (non-rye) grass. However
| due to neglect on my behalf the quality of the grass is deteriorating,
| with weeds appearing, and grass thinning in places.
|
| So in proper money, approx. 100Ft by 25Ft.
|
| For this size you will want a petrol mower. Smallest and cheapest size are
| 16" push machines. Within your budget, you can forget about choice and
| options, it will be a 16" push machine four wheeled, non mulching, rotary
| mower. Which TBH for want you want to achieve is probably the right machine
| anyway.

For heaven's say, WHY? We mow a lawn like that in less than 20 minutes
with a mains electric rotary.

The bare patches and weeds are unlikely to be caused by or cured by
mowing - it may be a factor, but a minor one. A decent mains-electric
lawnmower would be fine, and a damn site less hassle and quieter than
an affordable petrol job.

I'm not disagreeing but I like my self-propelled petrol mower for my
5m x 5m lawn.

If the guy wants to mow in the rain then I'd say in general a petrol
mower would be better expecially if he's left it a too few many
weeks. If it were me I'd be looking on ebay but then I have the time
and don't mind fixing things if they go wrong.I paid £40 for my mower.