Old 13-04-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default tree recommendations please?

On Apr 13, 2:00 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In some locations very little, if anything, in the way of trees will
| survive; in others you could possibly even grown palms (Trachycarpus)
| and pseudo-palms (Cordyline).

Indeed. I don't know what the most resistant plants would be, but
the only 'near tree' that I have seen growing on the most salt- and
wind-swept headlands has been blackthorn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I quite like the thought of blackthorn, and it is in fact something I
have strongly thought of. Near where I live on the east of Ireland
there are some fabulous old gnarled ones which have just the right
look for a "fairy tree", some in hedgerows, and some stand alone slap
bang in the middle of pastures. I also like the idea of all the
legends and myths that are tied up with some of those trees/bushes.
What do you think about holly? I have seen holly growing in sheltered
pockets in the area - growing being a technical term, because nothing
grows tall thereabouts - and I like the legend which has holly being a
protective plant.
Not that I believe any of it, but many of these legends are part of
the local heritage, and are interesting in their own right.

Cat(h)