Old 13-04-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_6_] Reel McKoi[_6_] is offline

Default Scared fish, string algae and thank you for moderating

"Henry & Carolyn" wrote in message
I would think it was the heron. Our pond is also in a small fenced-in
yard, in a corner, with a large tree branching over it. Never thought we
would ever see a heron in our yard. But one morning I woke up and looked
out the window, and one was sitting by the pond. I just yelled,
"NOOOOO!!!!". Went out to check if any fish were missing. Didn't see a
single one! I was freaking out!! But fish aren't as dumb as you might
think. They ALL turned up a few days later, not one missing! So they were
smart enough to find a good place to hide :-))
But that heron scared the heck out of both of us!

=========================
You caught the heron in time. Before we netted our ponds our fish were
disappearing constantly. Replacing the koi was becoming a real expense.
Herons will keep coming back and coming back until all the fish are gone.
Our fish were so freaked out they hid most of the time - and still vanished
from both ponds. The herons will stand like statues until the fish come
back out - then attack! They're pros at it.

Along with the herons we also had fish eating snakes, turtles and bullfrogs.
The nets keep most preditors out and we get to see and enjoy our fish.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.