Old 13-04-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default How much watering?

"Hud" wrote in
:

Anyone have an idea how often and how long I should water a 7'x8'
vegetable garden? (carrots, green beans, tomatoes and peppers - not
planted yet) Common sense tells me the best times to water are in the
morning before the sun heats things up and early in the evening when
it gets cooler. Is once a day enough? I'm also not quite sure how
long to water. I don't want to over-do it. I'll be watering with a
hose that has a sprinkler head on it. I'm thinking a few minutes of
watering is plenty for such a small garden. Am I on the right track?
Sorry if this seems like a silly question to those of you with a lot
of gardening experience. Prior to this year my closest experience to
gardening was buying vegetables at the grocery store. Lol Thanks

My philosphy's been that of minimal interference. The more you do to
your plants, the more they'll depend on you.

I'm in NE Indiana, and only water the garden when the soil looks like it
needs it. (Dig down a couple inches and see what the ground looks like
there.) We get enough rain here that the soil stays sufficiently moist
for plant growth 90% of the time.

Puckdropper