Old 28-03-2003, 08:08 AM
susannah

Default Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds

Sedges are a good idea, you local Landcare group, or Council
bushcare/Natural Resources officer or similar type position will or should
have an aexcellent idea of what to plant at your site..

As for a groundcover that likes shade and suppresses weeds... Microlaena
stipoides is fantastic at this, and in low/lower light situations. It seeds
quite prolofically and also spreads vegetatively, though much slower than it
does by seed.

All the little herbs that have been suggested are great, though if you are
near a waterway and want to rehabilitate the site, I would usggest not
putting in any exotics, especially Nasturtiums.

Good luck, and if you can get your hands on Joan Bradleys Bringing back the
Bush do so, it's a bible! next on my list would be Robin Buchanans Bush
Regeneration handbook (sorry, cannot remember exact title, though it is
available in some bookshops more and more). A search through
www.google.com.au should pick it up

Susannah

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Just an addition to all the suggestions that have been posted he

If you aren't growing anything from seed (i.e. it's all being planted)

there
is a product available called Ronstar. It's in granulated form and the

idea
is you spread it over an area you have planted, and no seeds will

germinate
there.
Found it to be particularly good for ground covers, as spraying weeds that
pop up through groundcovers isn't the easiest thing.
As I mentioned, only good if you are not growing anything there from seed.
Oh, and not too sure on the situation with being near a riverbank. If it's
likely to wash into the bank don't use it.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply