Old 13-04-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Scared fish, string algae and thank you for moderating

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:19:29 CST, "RG" wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated.
I'll pass on the net idea. I have doubts about a sprinkler because
the pond, which is sort of a strangled-curved-kidney shape with many
plants around it, won't be 'served' by just one sprinkler.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if 400 gallons was the correct size, a
motion sprinkler would cover it. Mine covers a quarter pie shaped area of
approximately 40X40 feet.

Also, won't the sprinkler sprinkle me, and my cat and wife and daughter?

I have mine right at the edge of the patio. All of the above will learn how
to avoid it. The humans will turn the dial to off, the cat will just avoid
the area when you're not out there. Since it has a sensitive dial, you can
make it so it doesn't sense something the size of your cat.

before that. I did add a new koi a month ago, shortly before the fear
behavior began. Could it be weird grouping psychology.

Could be, or could be sickness if you didn't run that koi thru quarantine.

No, Jan, I never had string algae before. I have an Oase Filtoclear
800 pressurized filter with an Oase Aquamax 1000 pump (great pump;
only draws 9 watts). The filter has a handle/backflush system to
rinse out the gunked-up sponges inside. I've been backflushing it
every 2 weeks or so.
With alot of this string algae, is it possible to stop feeding the
fellows? (I've only been feeding them a tablespoon of tiny koi
pellets every 3 days or so.)
By the way, here's another oddity: I've got tadpoles in the pond that
have remained tadpoles for 3 years. Only one turned into a frog last
year. --Rob

You've added another fish, and the others have grown since last year, more
nutrients, is why you could now have SA, when you never had it before. Yes,
you can stop feeding. Though a tablespoon every 3rd day isn't much to cut
back on. :-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us