Old 14-04-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default turtle in a koi pond

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:08:27 CST, "Dan Robinson"
wrote:

Last year someone offered me a turtle pair (RES) and I put them in my
waterlily pond. They disappeared and we never saw them again. I figured
they crawled over the edge of the raised pond and went looking for a new
home during the major storm that occurred a couple of days after their
arrival. This spring while trimming one of my flower beds I noticed a tiny
baby turtle. He was smaller than a 50 cent coin. He was looking dried out
so we decided to put him in a spare aquarium we had. Over the last couple
of weeks he has grown quickly and we are wondering what to do next. If I
put him in the lily pond I suspect he will climb out and have a hard time
surviving our hot Houston summer. We have a large koi pond and it would be
nearly impossible to climb out of it. Would this put our koi at risk?
Dan

Turtles have to get out of the water and dry out now and then.... and
that's about the extent of my turtle knowledge. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us