Old 14-04-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hostas froze, now what?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:38:00 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:

IGot2P :

Here in extreme SE Iowa (zone 5) we had a couple of weeks of VERY warm
weather thus most all of the early flowers came up big time. Immediately
following this warm spell we had just the opposite, down in the twenties
at night. :-(

Well, needless to say the plants really suffered. The tulips and
daffodils appear to be recovering but the hostas are really a mess and
most of them were about 8 to 12 inches tall when the cold weather came.

Finally, the question; do we cut them back or just wait and see how they
make out on their own?

Don

Don, I live in St. Louis Missouri and we had a bitter, hard freeze as well.
Your hostas should be just fine. Mine show the freeze but I've seen this
before, and the hostas should pop up and do their business as usual.
Hostas are very hardy... at least in my experience.

Michael

Here in east Tennessee. My hosta froze last weekend, along with the
dogwood blooms, trees, rose of sharon, etc. The rose bushes are okay.
Havn't seen this kind of late frost since living here since 1989. The
hosta looks like wilted lettuce. I'm not doing anything--just waiting
for new growth.