Old 14-04-2007, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Apros garlic planting

Broadback wrote:

Recently the question was asked if it was too late to plant garlic. the
general consensus was yes. However I have just received and email from
Dobies who claim now is a good time to plant them.

Disclaimer: I'm in the American Colonies, and anything I say should be
viewed with suspicion.

There are two basic types of garlic: Hardneck and softneck. Hardneck
types are usually fall planted and need a period of dormancy to do well.
In fact, types that I grow would not do as well where winters are mild.
Some U.S. suppliers sell "Cajun" types suited for the gulf coast, where
winters aren't what I would call "winter" at all.
Much of the mass-produced garlic is Softneck, and this is generally spring
planted, though the few I grow also go in the ground in late autumn. Names
like "California Early" are seen, though I wouldn't have chance with such
effete plants.
As others have said, you can certainly spring plant hardneck types, though
the size may suffer a bit. Better than not growing garlic at all! Since
garlic adapts to local conditions, you're better off saving your own
planting stock from what does best. Of course, that's true of a lot of
garden crops.

Hope this makes sense.... 33F, snow on the ground, more expected, no end in
sight on the extended forecast. I need to find the Happy Place.