Old 15-04-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pots

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:36:21 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"naearthmom" wrote in news:1176319081.533340.162510
:

Clay will allow the roots to "breathe" a bit easier..........if
inside, they won't dry out AS quickly as when outside, but will still
dry out/be heavier than plastic. If you can afford the time and effort
(and trays underneath the pots) I would go for the clay - much more
elegant looking than plastic, imho.

Clay pots in the house tend to get slimy in my experience. Maybe it's
where I live.

They can. And they do where I live. Some plants grow much better in
unglazed clay pots--like cactus and succulents. During the warm
season I put them outside on the deck with two sticks underneath for
fast drainage. Coleus and African violets seem to do well in plastic
pots. I soak clay pots in water for a week with a little household
bleach added, rinse, scrub, rinse, and repeat the soak until the water
shows clean. The pots come out like new.