Old 14-04-2007, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default cedar questions

"dj" wrote in message
Our local box store has a sale on five-six foot cedars and I've been
kicking around the idea of replacing a fence with this plant. I don't
know what type of cedar they are, but I see them everywhere (southern ON
Can.) My questions, How well will this plant handle Maple tree roots.
There is all day sun, but the fine/fibrous roots of the tree restrict the
growth of clematis (SP). The area is fairly wet and clay. Also these
plants would be two-three feet for a neighbours house. I mention that
only because someone told me that the back of the plants would not fill in
being close to something like a house.
Mostly I'm concerned about the maple roots though, and if they can handle
them.
If any one can steer me in the right direction, it would be most
appreciated!

When I looked at cedars for privacy a few years back I concluded that they
likes better drained soil than what I have (fairly wet and clay). But I do
have a few growing in a spot that is mostly slag ( remains of rock from a
kiln).