Old 15-04-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Manelli Family Manelli Family is offline

Default Squash Vine Borers

"sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 14, 7:00 am, "Manelli Family" wrote:
"Dwayne" wrote in message

The best thing I have found was to rotate my crop. Put as much space
as
you can between this years and last years plantings.

Next, buy and grow squash that are more resisistant to squash bugs and
borers. Yellow and zucchini are the first to go. Butternut and other
winter are the last.

Zucchini and crooknecks are our favorites and excellent for those
onlowcarbdiets. Butternuts are notlowcarband aren't ready until the
fall.
They're also so cheap here they're hardly worth the garden space when
space
is limited.

Last, plant a couple rows of sacrificial squash as early in the spring
as
you can, and a month or so later (depending upon where you live), the
ones
you want to keep for yourself.

Now that's an idea. Thanks............

Good luck. Dwayne

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
What are you guys doing for Squash Vine Borers? Sevin dust and the
organics don't work anymore for us.- Hide quoted text -

Dear
I ran into your message quite accidentally while researching about
some details on 'Low Carb Diets' and thought of sharing some of my
findings.
I've read at 'http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/Health-
living/crab-diets/index.asp
that Make every carbohydrate count. When you eat carbohydrates, reach
for complex carbohydrates such as whole grain breads and pasta,
legumes, nonstarchy fruits, and vegetables.

That's pretty much what I've done. I've given up all refined carbs and most
of the starchy veggies. Starchy veggies are much higher in calories as
well. When I do eat them I limit the amount to less than 1/2 a cup.

Pick produce that triggers lower glucose response. Fruits and
vegetables with the lowest glycemic index include apples, apricots,
asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery, cherries,
cucumber, grapefruit, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, plums,
spinach, strawberries, sweet peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini.

The above are mainly what I'm eating. :0)

Moderate-
GI produce includes cantaloupe, grapes, oranges, orange juice,
peaches, peas, pineapple, yams, and watermelon. High-GI fruits and
vegetables include bananas, beets, carrots, corn, potatoes, and
raisins.
I hope the above is of some help to you as well. Regards, Sherrybove

Yes, thanks. After awhile you don't even miss the carby foods. I've lost
45 lbs so far and feel a heck of a lot better.