Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 AM
dave weil

Default first bud

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:45:39 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:54:29 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

Grrr! How do you get a bud this early! I'm green.

Get Old Blush. chuckle

Nothing else is even close to setting buds...

I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate once-bloomers, don't you
know. G

What does that have to do with Old Blush? g

I wouldn't consider Old Blush to be a once bloomer, although it
certainly isn't a "continuous" bloomer.

Hell, I guess so. I've never had a standard. If you can't grow them
without burying them for the winter, bet I can't.

Well, I didn't leave it in the shed like I usually do. I don't
remember how it got outside but it did, and it stayed through the
snows...

Damn, Sidney! One of those walking standards. It might be better for
all of us that it did not live.

Maybe they could be trained to do the shopping...

You'll really like Eurpoeana as it should throw some nice clusters
this year for you.

Believe it or not, Europeana was among the second batch of roses I
bought--and was in its third year when the voles killed it. I have
never seen such an even, beautifully rounded shape on any floribunda,
and I love the deep red new growth. More red than most. I used to cut
a spray and stick the whole thing in a vase and it looked arranged.

Yep, really pretty. Sadly, I just dug up the one with rose gall. I'm
not sure if it was the gall, the winter, or the lack of light that did
it in (or a combination). I think that Old Blush just made it hard for
Europeana and Ingrid to flourish. I actually moved Ingrid yesterday as
well and now it sits next to Papa Meilland.

What is wrong with her?

Ingrid is looking a bit anorexic. There are only two good canes now.
One of them is pretty stalky so I'm going to have to cut it off.

But why?? Why cut off only one of her two good canes? There is a
special place in hell for the prune happy, you know.

Now you know that I'm not one of those peeps. My termonology was bad.
I didn't mean cut it off like it sounded. The thing is, As far as I
know, IB should be more of a squat 3 footer. Mine started life that
way but most of the five or six canes have bit the dust and all I have
is one long cane and one smaller bit that's starting to come back.
Basically it looks like this after transplanting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...idBergman1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...idBergman2.jpg

I'd say that that long cane looks pretty leggy, wouldn't you?

Last year it looked like this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...05.14.2002.jpg

And this (it's on the right of Europeana):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...idBergman3.jpg

I'm hoping that maybe I'll get some more basal growth and I'm hoping
that it will "fill in" a little...