Old 15-04-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Manelli Family Manelli Family is offline

Default Greenhouse installation

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
good for you, only this is DESERT land, no forest unless you could the
limited number of the johus trees around anyplace. This trailer park has
the trailers in such a way the the trailers for the most part point
North/South bradside to the wind and my gardenfield is wide open to the
winds,

Why are they placed broadside to the wind? Wouldn't that be less safe that
the wind hitting them head-on?

no
buildings at all and you can't go deep here as the hardpan botten in only
about 5inch down, and over on edwards afb the suttle lands on a oil
covered hardpan runway. On thursday the 65mph winds took down 4 good sized
tree branchs and one storage shead is being riped apart by the winds, last
year 2 such sheads where ripped apart in just about 30 mins, so if the
owner gets the stuff, he might fix his, but the ones we lost last year
turned into shreads from the winds and it's plain and simple, There are
ZERO greenhouses standing in the area, the feds raded a farm out in the
area of 200th st west because they where trying to grow pot, but the green
houses they have buid had been tore apart by the winds during the week
before, that's why someone found out what they where doing and had
reported them, it was in the newspaper the next week. So there are no
sales of GH's in this area, oh ya, up around the city of Mojave, home for
the Mojave Space Port, they get winds of 100mph at night, and because of
the hills up there covered with the windmills for power they get wind
almost all the time and no GH's up there at all either. Right now we've
got 40mph winds flowing past the trailer and it's been blowing all night
too. I dread to think what my iris are like today.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across
the universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article ,
"** Frank **" wrote:

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had
65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last
about 10
secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

We get "hurricane" force winds here in southcental Alaska all the
time, but our greenhouses survive. We build with the wind in mind.
Peg 'em down good and build them in the lee of timber, alders, a
tall building, a hillside, whatever.

We built our house with a prow-point, like the bow on a ship. It's
pointed right at the glacier winds we get. This timber-framed house
shudders once in awhile, but it won't blow down. We get 100 mph wind
at least once every winter here. And earthquakes. (We're about 50 miles
from the epicenter of the largest EQ ever in N. America. The 1964
Alaska quake. A 9.4 -- my DH was a little boy -- he said the cows
and horses all fell down from the ground waves.)

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.