Old 15-04-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
chereena chereena is offline

Default New pond/koi owner questions

My bottom pond is 2000 gallons and the top pond is a few hundred. The
water goes through both, but the pumps and two filters are in the
bottom one. The big barrel with the filters is outside. I bought
algae-eating snails to help with the algae. The filters are some kind
of poly fiber that looks like a loofa sponge and they weigh a ton when
they are full of water.

The water is clear and I am feeding the fish in the morning, just a
spring food that is very light.

It's a liner pond with a rubber liner.

Don't you have to clean all the water out to shop vac?

On Apr 14, 6:46 am, wrote:
please sign up for rec.ponds.moderated or go here to get to ithttp://www.greatnowhere.com/ there are people there in Seattle can help you.

algae should not be scraped off a pond. dont use algae chemicals.
how big is your pond? any idea how many gallons?

rather than filters I use a veggie filter with plants. I only clean the filter once
a year in fall with a shop vac.

describe your filters.

is the water green? how much are the koi fed per day? describe the pond, are there
rocks on the bottom? is this a concrete or liner type pond?

Ingrid

I bought a house with a koi pond in Seattle and the owner left me two
adult fish
and some very rudimentary instructions. Today I put some algae
chemicals in the pond and attempted to clean the giant filters in the
barrel. Wondering .....

Is there any less disgusting way to clean out the filters? I had
pond scum all over me by the time I was finished. He put the barrel
in a place that I have to drag or carry the filters quite a ways and
when they are full of scum they are very heavy.

Any suggestions or help offered is greatly appreciated!