Old 15-04-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_6_] Reel McKoi[_6_] is offline

Default New pond/koi owner questions

"chereena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you. Any suggestions on type of filter? It's actually not the
grossness that's the problem. It's the fact that I could barely lift
them and had a back ache for days.
=================================
You would probably have to look at the type that's backflushed. I can't
suggest any as I'm still using my old Tetra Filters. I pull out the filter
pads and hose them off. The blocks (from under the filter pads) stay in the
filters and I hose them down. A tube is put over the outflow and directed
to the lawn where the crud goes. You need to ask this on
rec.ponds.moderated as there are many people there much more knowledgable
about pond filters than I am.

All of our other filters are home made and only the filter pads are hosed
off. The filters themselves are cleaned out once a year - in the fall
before they're put up for the winter.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.