Old 15-04-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] treehugger@saharadesert.com is offline

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:36:01 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
: On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:53:28 +0100, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
: wrote:
:
: I was watching the TV earlier tonight and an 'allotmenteer' said she
doesn't
: compost rhubarb leaves because they are too acid.
:
: I have always composted ours.
:
: Any comments please?
:
:
: If you have a huge pile of them and nothing else, they would produce
: compost too acid to apply to acid-hating plants. But mixed with other
: ingredients there will not be a problem. The key to good compost is
: always to use a variety of different ingredients.

I don't think that's right, it doesn't necessarily make acid compost

Where does all the oxalic acid from the leaves go then? If it's well
mixed and diluted with other material it will break down, but a pile
of rhubarb only will stay acid for a considerable time.
I do agree that the warning on the TV programme was over-emphasised.