Old 15-04-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Composting Rhubarb leaves.

On 15 Apr, 14:36, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
: I was watching the TV earlier tonight and an 'allotmenteer' said she
doesn't
: compost rhubarb leaves because they are too acid.
: I have always composted ours.
: Any comments please?

: If you have a huge pile of them and nothing else, they would produce
: compost too acid to apply to acid-hating plants. But mixed with other
: ingredients there will not be a problem. The key to good compost is
: always to use a variety of different ingredients.

I don't think that's right, it doesn't necessarily make acid compost

Hmmm... yes and no I would say. I think there's a confusion with the
oxalate acid that the rhubarb produces (as well as spinach, beets,
strawberries, wheat bran, nuts ...). Once fully decomposed the leaves
loose their oxalate and therefore are ok. I'd agree that compost made
of a single pile of stuff wouldn't be a good idea, (beside leaves or
mushrooms), but I've always composted our rhubarb leaves and I've
never had any problem, though I mix a variety of stuff with it.